Millions of Americans will celebrate the 4th of July with food, fun, and fireworks. For the thousands of pets that flee their homes during the loud festivities, however, the holiday is anything but a party. Those dogs and cats often end up at a local shelter.
To help keep your pet safe in the home over the holiday, Best Friends offers the following tips:
- Bring all pets indoors whenever neighborhood fireworks displays are likely.
- Secure pets in a room and play music or turn on the television to drown out noise
- Keep pets away from lit fireworks at all times. Pets that chase after fireworks are at risk to be burned or blinded.
- Ensure that pets are wearing current identification tags.
- Microchip your pets so that they be can scanned at an animal shelter or veterinary office.
- If your pet does go missing over the holiday, check with local animal shelters immediately.
- Go to the shelter in person to identify your pet, as staff may not be able to respond in a timely fashion to emails or phone calls.
To help shelter pets find homes, and make space for those coming in over the holiday, Best Friends Animal Society is offering $17.76 adoptions across the country as part of its “Summer to Save Them All” campaign.
The $17.76 special is available at Best Friends adoption centers in Los Angeles, New York City, Atlanta, Salt Lake City, and Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, UT, as well as hundreds of participating No More Homeless Pets network partners across the country.
“Best Friends’ call to action is that by working together, we can save them all. By adopting a pet this holiday, or any time this summer, you’ll play a crucial role in making that happen,” said Marc Peralta, executive director of Best Friends Animal Society in Los Angeles.
$17.76 adoptions are available through July 5th for any pet over four months at the Best Friends Pet Adoption Center in Sugar House. The center is open from 11am to 4pm on the 4th of July, and from 11am to 7pm the rest of the week. Every pet is spayed or neutered, vaccinated, microchipped, and ready for their new home immediately.
“The July 4th holiday is a great time to bring home a new best friend. Adoption is convenient, cost-effective, and you’re saving a life, which is priceless,” Marc said.