Fostering with Best Friends SLC
Our foster program is dedicated to being fun and flexible to help find temporary homes for the cats and dogs in our care. We need fosters for sleepovers, weekends away, and longer!
Love pets but can’t adopt? Have pets but want to support our No-Kill initiative? Becoming a foster is a great way to help Save Them All! Follow the links below to get started:
Here’s how it works:
- Start by filling out the online application
- Look for a follow-up email with access to our online orientation that explains how the program operates
- Sign up for your first foster pick up and meet with our foster coordinators who will offer supplies & support
- Provide your foster pet with care and love while receiving food, supplies, veterinary care, and access to a 24-hour emergency phone line
Your commitment today can help make Utah a no-kill state. It’s that easy!
What type of pets can I foster?
Cats & Kittens
This year, Utah shelters will receive thousands of kittens (two months of age or younger) who need urgent rescue and care. We are looking for Kitten First Responders who can bottle feed kittens overnight while we secure a long-term foster home! If you’re interested in learning more about our Kitten First Responder program, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are also in need of foster homes for adult cats who have special requirements or just need a break from the stressful shelter setting. As an adult cat foster, you'll provide us with valuable information about your foster cat's personality that will help us find the perfect adopter!
Dogs & Puppies
By fostering a dog, you’ll provide the animal with necessary relief from life in a shelter. Just one night in a foster home can be extremely beneficial to a dog’s mental health. Providing a comfortable temporary home for Utah’s most at-risk dogs will also provide us with information about the animals’ in-home behavior and play a crucial role in helping us find them forever homes.
- Willing to complete an online registration (~15 minutes) including: creating a volunteer profile, watching a short orientation video, and digitally signing agreement forms
- Must be eighteen years or older ─ or have a parent/guardian’s assistance
- Reliable transportation and internet access to schedule your foster pet’s appointments
Can’t foster but want to help?
If you’d like to make a donation to our foster program, you can shop our Amazon Charity List here: