Position Summary: The Kitten Nursery Caregiver Intern is responsible for assisting with animal care and volunteer coordination at the Best Friends Kitten Nursery. This position is full-time (40 hours per week). There are both 3-month positions (unpaid) and 6-month positions ($2000 stipend) available. Housing is not provided. Several start dates are available from mid March through mid August 2017.
Position Title: Kitten Nursery Caregiver Internship
Reports to: Kitten Nursery Supervisor
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
● Under staff supervision, facilitates the daily feeding, cleaning, medical care, and enrichment of cats and kittens in the Kitten Nursery in accordance to Standard Operating Procedures. Reports any medical or behavioral concerns to Kitten Nursery staff.
● Assists with administering medications and providing treatment, including care for critical patients. This may include assisting in physical examinations, administering injections, oral medications, fluid therapy, syringe feeding, and tube feeding.
● Provides assistance to staff in working with the Foster Coordinator to ready kittens from the Kitten Nursery for placement in foster homes.
● Keeps animal records current, including intake paperwork, feeding charts and medical logs.
● Assists in managing inventory of all Kitten Nursery supplies, ensuring all necessary supplies are stocked and available at all times.
● Maintains an integral part in providing 24-hour care of kittens in the nursery. Intern must be able to possess flexibility of scheduling involving overnight shifts, early morning shifts, and mid-day shifts.
● Expedites proper contamination and sanitation protocols in all areas of the Kitten Nursery as directed.
● Assists staff in working with veterinarians to determine proper treatment of sick or injured kittens in the Kitten Nursery.
● Under staff supervision, maintains daily communication with and oversight of volunteers dedicated to the Kitten Nursery. Assists staff with training new volunteers.
● Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
● After a short training period, demonstrates ability to care for kittens and cats and follow contamination protocols.
● Demonstrates approachability when dealing with volunteers and staff.
● Demonstrates ability to create and encourage a positive work environment.
● Strong interpersonal skills, i.e., ability to develop positive relationships with others and demonstrate sensitivity to the thoughts, feelings, and perspectives of others.
● Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
● Accurate, appropriate, clear, and concise written and verbal communication skills.
● Must be able to routinely lift up to 40 pounds.
● Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
● Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including but not limited to: walking, bending, lifting, carrying, twisting, reaching, stooping and squatting.
● Ability to effectively and safely handle cats and kittens and spend extensive periods of time with those animals in close quarters.
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to Shemia Splonskowski, Kitten Nursery Supervisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org or to Best Friends Animal Society, Attn: Shemia Splonskowski, 2005 S 1100 E, Salt Lake City, UT, 84106.